On June 2nd 1940 600 child evacuees from Lowestoft arrived with 30 teachers as part of a wider war time evacuation from East Coast towns. All the children were found homes in Glossop and district. A remarkable achievement! Life long friendships developed between many children and their foster families and for many evacuees the time spent in Glossop shaped the course of their future lives. On discovering that, through the work of the Lowestoft Evacuation Committee, the evacuees make an annual trip to Glossop FOGS decided to create a plaque for the station as a focal point for this significant event in the town's history and to host an event celebrating this.
Read more about the event and view pictures click the link for the dedicated page "The Lowestoft Evacuation"